Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Solar Dryer

Thom and I have a rule that we follow in terms of making changes that benefit the environment, if it saves us money or provides some other benefit, we go for it. I am not saying that we are particularly wasteful or that we have no interest in saving the environment, we just find the added benefits tend to be highly reinforcing. For example, we switched every light bulb in the apartment over to CFLs, and saved about $20/month on our electric bill. We recycle everything, because it is free to fill the recycling bin but garbage bags cost $1 a piece. We return all of our returnable containers, even if we purchase a drink at work we bring the bottle home to get the nickel, it adds up. We open the curtains in the winter to maximize on sun exposure to reduce heat costs, and we keep our curtains closed in the summer to reduce cooling costs. The list goes on and on.


Our latest project is the result of a year and a half quest. I enjoy drying my clothes on a clothesline. I like how clothes smell after drying in the sunlight, and the slight stiffness makes folding a snap. My problem was that I did not want a clothesline that was always hanging, I wanted one that I could easily take down so that we could enjoy the deck for other uses. I knew exactly what I needed: a retractable clothesline. The problem was I could not find one anywhere I looked. I finally decided to check the locally owned hardware store just down the street, bingo. I found it! That, along with some hooks and a package of clothespins, and I now have a clothesline. Well, three lines if you want to get technical. Once my clothes are dry, I just unhook the end of the line and everything tucks neatly away. I absolutely love it. Laundry has become a relaxing chore, rather than babysitting a washing machine and a dryer, I just grab everything after a spin cycle, hang, and forget about it. I am saving money too, it may only be a couple of dollars per month, but it will adds up. Since our apartment building uses a gas dryer, I am also reducing our carbon footprint, so the Earth is happy too. A win-win situation all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...