Friday, May 3, 2013

Asian Noodle Soup

I love perusing Pinterest for recipes and this one caught my eye a few months ago. The blogger that posted the recipe calls it Homemade Ramen, and I guess in a way it is like ramen noodles in that it is very easy and quick to make. At the same time, the soup has a wonderful broth, not the salt packet seasoning packet that comes along with ramen. It is also possible to pronounce all the ingredients in this soup, which is always a plus. Thom and I love this recipe and use it as our go to recipe on days we are feeling under the weather or just too lazy to cook anything.

The original recipe was posted on Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity and can be found here. Thom and I are not onion eaters, so we omitted the green onion and made a couple other small changes.

What you need:
2 cups chicken broth, I use bouillon
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp soy sauce
Buckwheat noodles (found in the Asian section of the supermarket, they come in three bundles of noodles, I use a bundle of noodles of a batch of soup)
3/4 cup broccoli
1 chicken breast
olive oil
ground or freshly grated ginger
garlic powder or diced garlic

What you do:
1. Bring your chicken broth to boil, add the sesame oil, soy sauce, broccoli, and noodles. Boil for about 4 minutes until the noodles are cooked through. I like my broccoli to still be a little crunchy, if you like yours softer, boil the broccoli for a few minutes before adding the noodles.
2. While the soup is cooking, coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil, add a small amount of ginger and garlic to season the oil. Sautee the chicken breast until cooked through. Slice thinly.
3. Fill your bowl with soup, I find it is easiest to divide the noodles first with a pasta fork, and then pour the broth on top with a ladle. Top with sliced chicken.

That's it! The above recipe is good for two lunch or appetizer sized servings. I have been known to double or triple the recipe for a dinner sized meal. You can also get creative and swap around the veggie and the meat, another good combination is sugar snap peas and shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...