Friday, May 10, 2013

Lemon Brownies (Blondies)

I am a huge fan of the taste of lemon, especially in the spring time. My sister and I can eat lemons like oranges, and there is no such thing as lemonade with not enough sugar. When I saw this recipe floating around on Pinterest and Facebook, I had to try it. A baked good with lemon, that is topped with more lemon? It has to be a winner. 

The finished product is very good. A nice light and tart dessert that is not too sweet. I will definitely be making them again. I just have a couple of critiques. First of all, the name is misleading. Brownies imply that chocolate is involved, blondies are the non-chocolate cousin of brownies. Technically, these should be referred to as lemon blondies, not lemon brownies. Name issue aside, the original recipe recommends serving after the second application of glaze. The glaze never sets hard, but I would still recommend giving it an hour or two to set up. This is definitely a dessert that requires a fork, but it is slightly less messy once the glaze sets. Anyways, without further ado: 

What you need: 
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon zest

Lemon Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
4 tbsp lemon juice
8 tsp lemon zest

What you do: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x8 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. 
2. Cream together flour, sugar, salt, and butter. 
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and 2 tbsp lemon zest. 
4. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture, beat with an electric mixer for about two minutes, until batter is smooth and creamy. 
5. Pour batter into baking dish and back for 23-25 minutes until edges are golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Allow the blondies to cool completely before making the glaze, combine powdered sugar, 4 tbsp lemon juice, and 8 tsp lemon zest. Pour half of the glaze over the blondies, allow to set for about half an hour.
7. Pour remaining glaze over the blondies, they are now ready to serve. For bet results, allow to set for an hour or two. Slice into bars and serve.
 
Based off a recipe found on Ziplist, which can be found here

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! I'm trying to find more lemon recipes to utilize the lemons from my lemon tree. I might have to try this one :) I don't have an oven yet but I think I might be able to manage it in a toaster oven...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...