Saturday, April 27, 2013

Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes

With our CSA starting up in June, I have been searching Pinterest for vegetable recipes. The last time we went grocery shopping we were able to get a really good price on cauliflower, so I decided to give one of the recipes in my collection a try. Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes sounded good, and I happened to have all the ingredients in my pantry.

I am happy to report that the recipe did not disappoint. Thom was a little nervous about them at first, but we were both in love with first bite. The flavor and texture are very similar to a potato latke, just instead of potato you are definitely eating cauliflower. This is definitely on our "make again" list.

The original recipe can be found here.

What you need:
1 head of cauliflower
2 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (the original recipe calls for cayenne)
salt to taste
olive oil

What you do:
1. Chop the cauliflower into chunks and boil/steam until tender. Drain well, and mash the cauliflower while it is still warm.
2. Add cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, pepper flakes, and salt to the cauliflower. I added my eggs on top of everything else because the cauliflower is still quite warm and I did not want scrambled eggs. Fold everything together, the mixture will be quite moist.
3. Coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil over medium high heat. Drop cauliflower by large spoonfuls into the oil, I was able to make three pancakes at a time. Cook until the bottoms are golden, then turn.
4. Place the finished pancakes on a cookie sheet in a warm oven, repeat step three as many times as necessary.

3 comments:

  1. What is CSA, or what does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Community Supported Agriculture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky! CSA stands for community supported agriculture. Thom and I invested in a local farm this spring when they need the extra money, in turn we get a share of their harvest from June-October. It's a win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...