Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Acadia National Park or Bust!

The world from on top of a Bubble
Thom and I have been watching the weather report for Mount Desert Island for the last week or so. The weather in Maine has been more or less touch and go since May, we will get a couple of days of rain followed by a couple of days of sunshine. At first the weather forecast looked clear, then it looked like rain for the majority of the weekend, as of Sunday the weekend is supposed to be warm and dry. Monday morning, I reserved our campsite. As of Thursday, we will be spending five days camping on Mount Desert Island and enjoying the scenery that is Acadia National Park.

Cadillac Mountain from the Otter Cliffs

I feel like such a horrible Maine tour guide to Thom. I grew up here, and I spent at least a weekend nearly every summer growing up going to Acadia. There are pictures of me there throughout my childhood. Here I am not, as an adult, and I have yet to bring Thom up to what is arguably one of the most beautiful places in the state. He has lived in the state for three years. It is time to fix this.

We found a nice campground on the quiet side of the island, away from the tourist destinations. Our plan is to enjoy some time on the ocean, and to climb a mountain or two. It is my goal to climb all the mountains on the island, and I have stood on the summit of a good several of them.

A sea cave at low tide
I promise that I will be back Monday with plenty of pictures, reviews of hikes, and maybe even a few camping tips. I insist on camping in a tent, but Thom picks on me for camping in comfort. There is nothing wrong with an air mattress and a camping kitchen, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...