Thursday, August 15, 2013

Torn

You may have noticed my lack of Couch to 5k updates, or a lack of posts about hiking trails. Things are on a temporary hiatus. I rolled my ankle on the way down Gorham Mountain when Thom and I were at Acadia National Park. At first I thought I just sprained my ankle, and took a week off from running to let everything rest and heal up. After three weeks of soreness and spasming, I went to my doctor's office. My doctor took x-rays and sent me to a podiatrist. What I thought was a sprained ankle is actually a torn plantar fascia tendon, which is the tendon that goes from the heel to the big toe. Mine is almost completely severed. I also have a significant bone spur on my heel.

For the time being, I am in this wonderful ski boot contraption. My doctor is hoping that the tendon will scar over and heal up. At the end of the month, I will be re-evaluated as to what can be done next, which will likely be either physical therapy or an MRI. My podiatrist is aware that I was training for a 5k, and says that I MIGHT be able to train for a November race, my gut is telling me that I am done running for the year. Here's hoping to good news at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...